The Super Bowl is this weekend and The Steelers and The Packers are going at it. Although professional athletes are gifted in the strong, agile and powerful department, I think they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Okay, they are dumb as rocks. Not all of them. But, enough to make me suspicious. I don’t know this for fact, but these quotes I found tend to back me up. Sure, they are at the top of their game, but they are out of balance, just like the rest of us. You might agree after your read my top seven favorite sports quotes.
1. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
2. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:
"You guys line up alphabetically by height." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."
3. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice:
"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt.”
4. New Orleans Saint Running Back George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:
"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.."
5. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison:
"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton ..."
6. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player:
"I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?'
He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"
7. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:
"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings."
I rest my case.